Book Name: Learning Scala Programming
Author: Vikash Sharma
File size: 7.84 MB
File format: PDF
Learn how to write scalable and concurrent programs in Scala, a language that grows with you.
- Get a grip on the functional features of the Scala programming language
- Understand and develop optimal applications using object-oriented and functional Scala constructs
- Learn reactive principles with Scala and work with the Akka framework
Learning Scala Programming Book Description
Scala is a general-purpose programming language that supports both functional and object-oriented programming paradigms. Due to its concise design and versatility, Scala’s applications have been extended to a wide variety of fields such as data science and cluster computing. You will learn to write highly scalable, concurrent, and testable programs to meet everyday software requirements.
We will begin by understanding the language basics, syntax, core data types, literals, variables, and more. From here you will be introduced to data structures with Scala and you will learn to work with higher-order functions. Scala’s powerful collections framework will help you get the best out of immutable data structures and utilize them effectively. You will then be introduced to concepts such as pattern matching, case classes, and functional programming features. From here, you will learn to work with Scala’s object-oriented features. Going forward, you will learn about asynchronous and reactive programming with Scala, where you will be introduced to the Akka framework. Finally, you will learn the interoperability of Scala and Java.
After reading Learning Scala Programming book, you’ll be well versed with this language and its features, and you will be able to write scalable, concurrent, and reactive programs in Scala.
What you will learn in Learning Scala Programming
- Get to know the reasons for choosing Scala: its use and the advantages it provides over other languages
- Bring together functional and object-oriented programming constructs to make a manageable application
- Master basic to advanced Scala constructs
- Test your applications using advanced testing methodologies such as TDD
- Select preferred language constructs from the wide variety of constructs provided by Scala
- Make the transition from the object-oriented paradigm to the functional programming paradigm
- Write clean, concise, and powerful code with a functional mindset
- Create concurrent, scalable, and reactive applications utilizing the advantages of Scala
Who this book is for
This book is for programmers who choose to get a grip over Scala to write concurrent, scalable, and reactive programs. No prior experience with any programming language is required to learn the concepts explained in this book. Knowledge of any programming language would help the reader understanding concepts faster though.
Table of Contents
- Getting Started with Scala Programming
- Building Blocks of Scala
- Shaping our Scala Program
- Giving Meaning to Programs with Functions
- Getting Familiar with Scala Collections
- Object-Oriented Scala Basics
- Next Steps in Object-Oriented Scala
- More on Functions
- Using Powerful Functional Constructs
- Advanced Functional Programming
- Working with Implicits and Exceptions
- Introduction to Akka
- Concurrent Programming in Scala
- Programming with Reactive Extensions
- Testing in Scala